When it comes to celebrating St. Patrick’s Day, one thing is for sure: You’re going to want delicious food to go with your beverages. We’ve searched the internet to find a great recipe for homemade corned beef and vegetables. Who better to learn from than Martha Stewart? Let’s take a look at the recipe.
To begin the process, the first thing you’re going to need is a variety of ingredients. For the Brine, you will need the following:
- 2 Quarts Water
- 1 Cup Coarse Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Pink Curing Salt
- ½ Cup Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander Seeds, Crushed
- 1 Teaspoon Mustard Seeds, Crushed
- 1 Teaspoon Black Peppercorns, Crushed
- 1 Cinnamon stick, Crushed
- 4 Dried Bay Leaves, Crushed
- 8 Whole Cloves
The ingredients you’ll need for the Corned Beef are:
- 5 Pounds Flat-Cut Beef Brisket
- 1 Medium Onion, Halved
- 1 Medium Celery Stalk, Halved
- 1 Medium Carrot, Peeled and Halved
- 1 Pound Baby Turnips, Peeled and Trimmed
- 1 Pound Baby Carrots, Peeled and Trimmed
- 1 Medium Head Cabbage, Cut Into 8 Wedges
- 1 Pound Small Red Potatoes
- Dijon Mustard for Serving
Now that you know what you’ll need, let’s take a look at each step of the cooking process.
- Step 1: Make the brine by bringing water to a boil in a large pot. Add salts, spices, and sugar. Remove from heat and stir until salts and sugar dissolve. Let cool.
- Step 2: Make the corned beef by placing the brisket in a nonreactive container large enough to hold it. Pour the cooled brine over the meat. Place 2 small plates on top to keep meat submerged. Cover and refrigerate for 2 weeks.
- Step 3: Rinse brisket and discard brine. Place in a large pot. Then, add enough water to cover by 2 inches. Afterward, add onion, celery, and halved carrot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until very tender for 3 to 3 ½ hours.
- Step 4: Set a steamer in a large saucepan. Add enough water to reach the bottom and bring to a boil. Add turnips. Reduce heat, cover, and steam until tender for 8 to 10 minutes. Afterward, transfer to a bowl. Repeat process with baby carrots, steaming 10 to 12 minutes. Add to turnips.
- Step 5: Transfer corned beef to a cutting board. Tent with foil and let it rest for 30 minutes. Discard the remaining solids from the broth, then bring to a boil. Add cabbage and potatoes, simmer until tender for about 25 minutes. Add turnips and carrots, cook until warmed through. Transfer vegetables to a platter, reserve both.
- Sep 6: Trim excess fat from beef. Slice thinly against the grain and transfer to platter. Serve with broth and mustard.
You might also like: Decatur Coffee Shops – Find A New Favorite Drink
Consider A New Ride
In order to go out and get the desired ingredients, you’re going to need a spacious and dependable vehicle. Stop by Bob Brady Buick GMC to take advantage of our large selection of rides. You’ll find our dealership conveniently located at 1500 Koester Drive, Forsyth, IL 62535 which means residents of Taylorville, Sullivan, and Macon are just a short drive away. Come see us soon.